Take a look through some commonly asked questions. Simply click on the box under the question to display the answers you want.
Question 1: WHAT IS ACUPUNCTURE? Acupuncture is one of the most efficient methods used in treatment. Thin needles are used in various combinations to stimulate specific points on the body. Patients seek acupuncture as an alternative or supplement to traditional methods because of the broad healing capabilities, drug-free treatment, low risk of complication, and relatively quick results.
Question 2: DOES IT HURT? When people try acupuncture for the first time, they’re typically surprised by how much it doesn’t hurt.
But if a person does feel any pain or discomfort, it usually happens while the acupuncturist is “manipulating” the needles which involves twisting or tapping the needle for a few seconds until there is a mild ache in the area. Other than that, there can also be a pricking sensation when the needle is inserted, but people usually feel very little.
Question 3: HOW DO I BOOK AN APPOINTMENT? Booking is easy! Simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred time. Please allow up to 48 hours for email reply. We will contact you to coordinate a time that works for both parties, in your indicated range.
For faster service, call 306 446 0046 and talk to someone from the team directly. Please leave a message with your name and phone number if you do not get an answer. It is the policy at Vitality to never answer the phone during treatment but your call will be returned within the day.
Question 4: WHAT SHOULD I BRING? When you talk to Andrea to finalize your appointment, please indicate any special allowances that you may require. You aren’t required to bring anything to the session other than yourself. To complete payment for the treatment, ensure you have one of the accepted payment methods. Vitality is happy to accept cash, Interac, Visa, and Mastercard.
Question 5: WILL I HAVE TO FILL OUT A PATIENT HISTORY FORM? Yes, you will. You may print them in advance and bring the completed forms to the clinic at the time of your appointment, if you choose.
Question 6: WHAT DOES IT EFFECTIVELY TREAT? The World Health Organization released a report on the effectiveness of Acupuncture in 2003. The report can be read in its entirety here.
The diseases and disorders that can be treated with acupuncture are listed below.
Proven to be an Effective Treatment
- Adverse reactions to radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy
- Allergic rhinitis (including hay fever)
- Biliary colic
- Depression (including depressive neurosis and depression following stroke)
- Dysentery, acute bacillary
- Dysmenorrhoea, primary
- Epigastralgia, acute (in peptic ulcer, acute and chronic gastritis, and gastrospasm)
- Facial pain (including craniomandibular disorders)
- Hypertension, essential
- Hypotension, primary
- Induction of labour
- Knee pain
- Low back pain
- Malposition of fetus, correction of
- Morning sickness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Neck pain
- Pain in dentistry (including dental pain and temporomandibular dysfunction)
- Periarthritis of shoulder
- Postoperative pain
- Renal colic
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Tennis elbow
Therapeutic Effects Shown
- Abdominal pain (in acute gastroenteritis or due to gastrointestinal spasm)
- Acne vulgaris
- Alcohol dependence and detoxification
- Bell’s palsy
- Bronchial asthma
- Cancer pain
- Cardiac neurosis
- Cholecystitis, chronic, with acute exacerbation
- Competition stress syndrome
- Craniocerebral injury, closed
- Diabetes mellitus, non-insulin-dependent
- Epidemic haemorrhagic fever
- Epistaxis, simple (without generalized or local disease)
- Eye pain due to subconjunctival injection
- Female infertility
- Facial spasm
- Female urethral syndrome
- Fibromyalgia and fasciitis
- Gastrokinetic disturbance
- Gouty arthritis
- Hepatitis B virus carrier status
- Herpes zoster (human (alpha) herpesvirus 3)
- Labour pain
- Lactation, deficiency
- Male sexual dysfunction, non-organic
- Ménière disease
- Neuralgia, post-herpetic
- Opium, cocaine and heroin dependence
- Pain due to endoscopic examination
- Pain in thromboangiitis obliterans
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (Stein-Leventhal syndrome)
- Postextubation in children
- Postoperative convalescence
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Prostatitis, chronic
- Radicular and pseudoradicular pain syndrome
- Raynaud syndrome, primary
- Recurrent lower urinary-tract infection
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Retention of urine, traumatic
- Sialism, drug-induced
- Sjögren syndrome
- Sore throat (including tonsillitis)
- Spine pain, acute
- Stiff neck
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Tietze syndrome
- Tobacco dependence
- Tourette syndrome
- Ulcerative colitis, chronic
- Vascular dementia
- Whooping cough (pertussis)
Therapeutic Effect Acknowledged
- Chloasma Choroidopathy, central serous
- Colour blindness
- Irritable colon syndrome
- Neuropathic bladder in spinal cord injury
- Pulmonary heart disease, chronic
- Small airway obstruction
Treatment Possible with Monitoring Equipment & Competent Practitioner
- Breathlessness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Convulsions in infants
- Coronary heart disease (angina pectoris)
- Diarrhoea in infants and young children
- Encephalitis, viral, in children, late stage
- Paralysis, progressive bulbar and pseudobulbar
Vitality is proud to provide the following therapies:
During the first visit, Andrea will do an initial consultation to evaluate your current health and concerns. This visit will take a little longer. Subsequent visits won’t require this but will involve a truncated consultation at the beginning of the session to discuss your progress.
Cupping is a method used in Traditional Chinese Medicine in which a local suction is created on the skin. This mobilizes blood flow in order to promote healing. The cups create a vacuum on the patient’s skin and dispel stagnant blood and lymph. It is used to treat respiratory diseases such as the common cold, pneumonia and bronchitis. There are a tonne more conditions that cupping can improve!
Along with your acupuncture therapy, Andrea may recommend a modified diet or herbal supplement to adjust whatever may be out of alignment for you. If you have a particular concern, Andrea is more than happy to discuss your individual health needs.
Massage treatments with Joelle may include cupping, hot bamboo and/or hot stones. Every body is different therefor no treatment with Joelle is the same.